We witness countless famous brands and their captivating logos but do we ever wonder whose brainchild is it that created these magnificent designs? Short and simple, I say:
“Behind every successful brand there is a logo designer”.
I will elaborate on 10 of the most famous and prominent designers behind the finest corporate brands. Some of them are not among us today but their masterpieces are eternal, compelling us to salute these masterminds.
1. Saul Bass SAUL BASS (1920-1996) was a renowned graphic designer of the 20th century. He was well known for designing film titles. His corporate logo designing included very successful brand identities like Bell Telephone System Communications, United Airlines, AT&T, Minolta, and Warner.
2. Paul Rand Paul Rand (1914-1996) was an eminent graphic designer of American origin. He was best recognized for his famous corporate logo designs. Some of his corporate identities include the logo designs for ABC, IBM and UPS
3. Alan Fletcher Alan Gerard Fletcher (1931- 2006) was a British designer. The Daily Telegraph described him as “the most highly regarded graphic designer of his generation, and probably one of the most prolific”. Some of his corporate work that is known to many is the logo for Reuters in 1965, comprising of 84 dots. His “V&A” logo for Victoria and Albert Museum, designed in 1989 his “IoD” logo for the Institute of Directors are still in use today.
4. Sagi Haviv Sagi Haviv, who is a partner at Chermayeff & Geismar, is a 34 year old designer. Among his various corporate identity projects are for the National Parks of New York Harbor, Radio Free Europe, Library of Congress, and the famous fashion brand Armani Exchange.
5. Walter Landor Walter Landor (1913-1995) was a German graphic designer belonging to Munich. Landor was most popular for his creative Fedex logo design. The meticulous use of negative space ‘arrow’ was a brilliant masterpiece of Landor. His FedEx logo design is considered as one of the best logo designs in the world
6. Herb Lubalin Herbert F. Lubalin (1918 -1981) was a famous graphic designer of USA. Herb’s most prominent logo designs are the Marriage logo created in 1965 and the Families logo designed in 1980
7. Chermayeff & Geismar: Ivan Chermayeff and Tom Geismar were two students at Yale in the mid 1950s. Chermayeff & Geismar Inc are the creators of numerous famous trademarks and corporate identities. Some of the most prestigious of their works is for large corporations such as Mobil, Time Warner, Viacom, and Xerox.
8. Wally Olins Wikipedia claims Wally Olins to be recognized as the world’s most experienced practitioner of corporate identity and branding. Wally was nominated for the Prince Philip Designers Prize in 1999 and received the Royal Society of Arts’ Bicentenary Medal for his tireless efforts in the design industry.
9. Gerard Huerta Gerard Huerta is a designer with one of the most versatile design portfolio. Not many graphic designers get the opportunity to apply their design skills in such vast areas as Gerard Huerta has done. His famous corporate logos include Swiss Army Brands, Calvin Klein’s Eternity, MSG Network, CBS Records Masterworks logo, The Atlantic Monthly and PC Magazine.